Thursday, May 3, 2012

English 102 Reflection

English 102 has been one of my more enjoyable classes of the spring semester. The classes were never a boring type of class where the professor just stands up at the front of the class, talking for an hour.Professor Brady teaches enthusiasm and she made every class have some type of interactive activity, whether it be a class fishbowl or partnering up. My other classes of the semester have been mostly the teacher only talking so English was fun to come to because everyone had the chance to participate.


English 102 had more work than my English 101 class but in the long run it helped me with my writing. I've learned that a specific quote or line in a story can be the difference between offering a point and proving a point. I've learned that a story has to be read before, gone over in class, and read after class for it to fully make sense. I think my writing has improved from learning how to use  citations more in my essays. In English 102 they can take your essay from a 2 to a 3. and a B to an A. 


I liked many aspects of English 102. I like Professor Brady's method of teaching with fishbowls, allowing everyone to contribute their ideas. Fishbowls are a more personal way of teaching and it's better than just sitting looking at the chalkboard for an hour. I liked the different opinions everyone had in class and even though I didn't agree with all of them, it's beneficial to see someone else's point of view. I liked that everyone in class was different and had their own ideas. The class would've been boring if everyone were the same and didn't have opinions about any of the class discussions. 


In 5 years I'll probably still be using the idea that a point can't just be made by itself, it needs to be proven by details. If I need to write anything I'll know to look for specific supporting lines and quotes to strengthen the main idea/thesis. 

No comments:

Post a Comment