Thursday, May 3, 2012
Class 03/22/2012
On March 22, 2012 the class lecture centered around the story "Hills Like White Elephants" by Ernest Hemingway. The lesson involved the symbolism and theme of the story. Before coming to class and reading the story I was confused about what the girl and the man were passively arguing about. When Professor Brady explained that the argument was about abortion it cleared everything up. I was surprised that as the class re-read it in class, it was so obvious, but if you didn't know the story didn't make a lot of sense. When reading the story symbolism is show by the elephant hills represent a baby that the girl wants but the man sees it as a problem. I didn't understand what elephants had to do with a future child but the class explained that a white elephant although beautiful and rare, is a lot more work,time, and responsibility for one person. This was one of my favorite lectures of the class because I loved that the whole story is told without saying "abortion" and the argument is so passive and neither the man or woman flat out say if they want the baby or not.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Great Job Susannah!
ReplyDelete